Thursday, September 10, 2009

Impatience

What did I write today? ....Does this blog post count?

I'm having trouble getting rid of this belief that I can write a publishable novel and get it published in no time flat. I sometimes think of it like a race, even when I know and tell myself it's about the journey, not the destination. I can't help it.

I really want to get published.

I suppose it's harder because of my financial difficulties. Despite everywhere I left resumes and applied, not a single job has called me back and even my college can't afford the work-study program this year. I applied for a loan, but I'm still waiting for that to go through. My denial will cost me dearly.

If I could just get published, get something money from writing which is easier than waiting around and for a check to arrive in the mail, things will get better. Or at least that's what I want to believe.

But if I listen to the countless of wise and experienced publishing professionals and successful writers, it doesn't work like that. It takes time to get published. It takes time to be successful, no matter how well you write. And then the biggest blow...

It takes time to become a great writer.

I know this. I practice it. I slowed down and started reading my writing books which had been collecting dust for some months now. I enrolled in a writing course and started writing short stories, which I think is great practice.

If I feel like I'm progressing, even a little bit, the feeling is amazing and it can go on forever for all I care.

But when bills pile up, and I read really great writers and how far I have to go, and dream every night of greatness, I sometimes wish it would all just go faster or better. At least, I wish I could know if I'm getting anywhere.

This is why I believe a writing partner or critique group is very important. Even a friend or spouse who is in love with your writing is a godsend for a writer's struggle. It's easier to write or work for others than to write and work for yourself. They keep you going for the long run.

Patience is key.

Patience is necessary.

I think the reason there are more successful authors in their 30s, 40s and 50s than in their 20s and under, is because the older you get, the more patient and dedicated you become.

I hope one day I can learn this lesson early from my many teachers (from the books and blogs I read) and learn to go with the flow...

...even when at times it seems like a trickle.

2 comments:

  1. That's the most frustrating thing about this entire process, the waiting. No matter what, you'll have to wait. Even if you finish the novel ASAP, and it's best seller material, it'll still take six months for an agent to get back to you, then starts all the process of edits and run around with a publisher after it's been shopped around and sold, so add another year or so there. They say that the best part of all is that you have to exercise so much patience with the actual process only to then be expected to "hurry up and wait." Because after all of that patience they'll expect you to turn around and make edits in no time at all.

    So I guess what I'm saying is, the sooner you can accept that nothing is going to happen quickly, the better. Writing is something we do in spite of the many hurdles placed in our way. I wish I could remember where I read it, but someone on the great wide web mentioned that they never soften their critique blows because if anything they can say changes a person's mind about wanting to be a writer, then they weren't really a writer to begin with and it frees them up to chase something that they are really passionate about. Just hang in there, something always turns up when you least expect it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my god! Why is Josh Olson's article seeping into the minds of everyone! That's where you heard that from (I think, or maybe someone else who thinks the same). See my most recent post for the quote.

    Yeah, don't worry. I'm hanging in there! A part of me is really liking this idea of being a writer one day at a time as a permanent lifestyle. It's just that real life responsibilities are making it hard to stay in that sense of peace.

    ReplyDelete